Kill Or Be Killed
Anyone who has a passion to live will do anything it takes not to die. When it comes to battling against the deadly effects of sin in our lives, the Bible says we should be willing to cut off our hand or gouge out our eye if they cause us to sin. Obviously, this was intended to be figurative, but it does reveal how ruthlessly and radically God expects us to deal with sin. God broke the power of sin over us by killing His Son Jesus in our place, but He has called us to kill the indwelling, ongoing sin that remains in our lives by the power of His Spirit. This is known as mortification, which refers to our duty to kill sin before it kills us. The purpose of today’s message is to answer TWO QUESTIONS about mortification:
- WHAT IS IT?
- HOW DO WE DO IT?
1. IDENTIFY SPECIFIC SINS YOU NEED TO KILL (1 Kings 8:37-39; Ps. 139:23-24; Haggai 1:5, 7)
2. LIVE UNDER THE HOLY SPIRIT’S CONTROL (Gal. 5:16-24; Eph. 5:18)
3. FIGHT SIN WITH GOD’S WORD (Ps. 119:9, 11; Eph. 6:17)
4. DEPEND ON THE LORD THROUGH PRAYER (Eph. 6:18; Mt. 6:13; 26:41; Heb. 4:15-16)
5. HATE AND FEAR SIN (Gen. 39:9; Acts 5:11; 1 Tim 5:20)
6. DON’T FEED THE FLESH (Mt. 5:29-30; Rom. 13:14)
7. UNEARTH AND UPROOT THE REAL ISSUE (Ez. 14:3; Mk. 7:21-23; James 4:1; 1 Jn. 2:15-16)
8. BREAK OLD HABITS AND BUILD NEW HABITS (Eph. 4:22-24; Col. 3:8-12)
9. CHANGE YOUR THINKING (Rom. 12:2; 2 Cor. 10:5; Phil. 4:8; Col. 3:2)
10. STAY BROKEN AND HUMBLE (Ps. 51:17; 1 Cor. 10:12; Gal. 6:1; James 4:6)
11. MAKE YOURSELF ACCOUNTABLE (Ecc. 4:9-10; Heb. 3:12-13; 10:24-25)
12. STAY FOCUSED ON CHRIST AND THE CROSS (Jn. 15:5; 1 Pet. 4:1-3; 2 Cor. 5:14; Heb. 12:1-4)