Knowing The Great Unknown
Topic: Repentance Passage: Acts 17:16–17:34
THEME: In Paul’s sermon on Mars Hill, he explained TWO BASIC FACTS about God that we all need to know and do in order to have a right view of God and be in a right relationship with God. This sermon is a model of how to reach those who are ignorantly groping for God.
- GOD’S CHARACTER - WHO HE IS (vv. 24-29)
- GOD’S COMMAND - WHAT HE REQUIRES (vv. 30-34)
James 1:22 says, “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” These questions are designed to help you apply today’s message to your life. We encourage you to thoughtfully answer these questions and discuss your answers with others. For more information about joining a Grow Group that uses these questions as the basis for weekly discussion, prayer, and accountability, please call the church office at (936) 582-1977.
- A.W. Tozer said, “The most important thing about us is what comes into our minds when we think about God.” Why is that statement so true? What problems in your life or in the lives of those around you stem from a wrong view of God?
- How did Paul respond to the religious idolatry he saw all around him in Athens? What is your response to what you see going on all around you? Does it motivate you to share the gospel with others? Why or why not?
- Read Genesis 1, Hebrews 11:3, and Revelation 4:11. What do you need to explain to someone who believes in the theory of evolution?
- Read Psalm 14:2-3 and Romans 1:18-23? What do these verses say about what sinful mankind does with God?
- Read Isaiah 45:22, 55:6-8, Mark 1:15, and Acts 20:21. What does it mean to repent? Why is this an essential requirement for salvation?
- Read John 5:22-29 and 2 Thessalonians 1:6-10. What do these verses teach about why and how Jesus Christ will return to judge the world? Are you ready to face Him if He returns this week?
- Thank God for explaining in the Bible who He is and what He requires so you could know Him and have a relationship with Him. Ask Him to cause you to be so truly grieved by the spiritual ignorance all around you that you will be compelled to live and share the gospel with others.